- A short life with much sickness comes from past Killing.
- Poverty and discontent comes from previous Stealing.
- A quarrelsome spouse and lack of satisfaction comes from previous Sexual Misconduct.
- Not being believed or trusted by others comes from previous Lying.
- Loneliness and lack of support comes from Causing Disharmony in the past.
- Receiving insults and being disliked by others comes from Using Abusive Language in the past.
- Being ignored by others comes from past idle talk.
- Being constantly unsatisfied and not getting what one wants comes from past craving.
- Being treated like an enemy by everyone comes from previous Anger.
- Confusion and difficulty in understanding comes from having been attached to Incomplete viewpoints in the past.
The tendency to perform these actions increases with each occurrence. Our circumstances and even the environment and climate change to reinforce our tendency to commit negative thought, speech and action.
Think of your current problems and what the possible internal causes of those would be.
Think of the negative results that have come from thought, speech and action full of longing, done with attachment, full of fear or anger, or that arise out of doubt or confusion.
Feel Regret for the vows and promises that you’ve made & since broken. Feel sadness for those who cause harm for themselves and others.
Then repeat this: I have performed thought,
speech, and action full of longing & attachment, fear & anger, and
doubt & confusion, Because these actions create suffering or perpetuate
I promise to try not to commit these actions again.
- Protecting life leads to long life, and good health.
- Generosity leads to obtaining wealth and power.
- Upholding Morals leads to happiness and good companions.
- Being truthful leads to being respected and trusted by others.
- Reconciling others leads to being well-liked and trusted.
- Using gentle words and encouragement leads to being praised by others and hearing pleasant sounds.
- Speaking only with purpose leads to speech that others find pleasing and want to listen to.
By maintaining the view of the world as impermanent, subject to suffering, interdependent, and selfless, we are respected by others and have the best intelligence and wisdom.
Repeated good acts
strengthen the tendency to repeat those acts.
Our circumstances and environment and even the climate change to reinforce our positive thought, speech, and action.
Rejoice at your thought, speech and action done from contentment, done with renunciation, combined with patience, done out of compassion, combined with confidence, and reflecting a Complete Viewpoint.
Rejoice at the good that has come from keeping the vows and promises that you have made.
Think of the good
deeds, kindness and merits of others and be glad that they are creating merit
Think of using this merit for the benefit of all beings, then repeat this:
I rejoice in all thought, speech, and action done by myself & others Arising from Contentment & Renunciation, Patience & Compassion, And Confidence & Understanding And I promise to try and do more of these actions in the future.